Equipment and flight training

Roadrunner

Hello,

I am considering joining the club. I used to build and mostly crash rc planes in the early 90s, never got formal flight training. I think I'd like to get back into the hobby and was wondering how the training works and also what brand radio is prevalent at the club or if there is a requirement to have a specific trainer compatable radio.

Your advise is greatly appreciated,

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

No reply's so we are Lazy Loopers but this is not good! I am Andrew and though I am not sure if I can help you with the flight training LEGALLY I can answer a few ? and can meet you at the field. I fly FM and DSM. I use older Futaba Radios and have a DX 6 Spectrum radio. All that is preference and if you have older equipment bring it and we can tell you if it's LEGAL to use it. I have been flying 30 years or so and have taught a few people to fly so If this was helpful let me know and we can talk some more.

Picture 181.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the answer Fins. I have a couple different planes but no radio gear, my old AM stuff sat too long and the battery did some weird damage to the wiring inside the radio, turned all the copper black. Anyhow I need new stuff and was just wondering if there was anything specific that I should get to be compatable with what other people have at the club or trainer connectivity, what throttle stick mode is most common in the area, ect. I was considering the spectrum DX 6 but also know you can't go wrong with futaba or at least that's what I remember. Can't seem to get any good feel for the brands on the forums just stirs up big arguments between the groups. Thanks for the advise.

There are literally a hundred ways to go! And you can spend as much nor as little as you want. My personal opinions aside Spectrum seems to be the radio of choice.  We  should talk more and if you would like you can call me. My e-mail is andyfairna@yahoo.com. Send an email so I can send you my phone number privately.

• 1 month later...